Graduates celebrate at 2015 commencement
May 14, 2015
Saturday was a much anticipated day for 404 IUSM graduates.
The IU School of Medicine, which is the largest medical school in the nation, awarded:
- 307 Doctor of Medicine degrees
- 25 Doctor of Philosophy degrees
- Two combined M.D./Ph.D. degrees
- 41 Master of Science degrees
- 16 Master of Science in clinical research degrees
- Three M.D./M.S. in translational science degrees
- Seven Master of Science in medical science degrees
- Three combined M.D./MBA degrees
More than 3,000 friends and family members filled the Sagamore Ballroom at the Indiana Convention Center to celebrate the occasion. Kent Brantly, M.D., who is a 2009 IUSM graduate and one of the Ebola Fighters recognized by Time magazine as its 2014 Person of the Year, was the commencement speaker.
Each student walked across the stage, was hooded by a faculty member, and then, in unison, repeated the Physician's Oath, pledging to "maintain the upmost respect for human life."